question on speakup-source debian package

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Fri Jul 25 23:41:45 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 03:36:21PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> Let's say for example, that I am running a 2.6.25.12 custom-built
> kernel via kernel-package from the stock kernel.org sources, and that
> I want to upgrade to a custom-built 2.6.26 kernel built via
> kernel-package, again from stock kernel.org source.

	As long as you have the correct compiler for it, you should be
able to compile any kernel for any platform, irregardless of the kernel
currently running.  The compiler should be doing the work, converting
source to machine code.  If the folks at kernel.org couldn't compile a
2.6.26 kernel without a 2.6.26 kernel running, then they'd have to
write kernels in Assembler, or worse, a hex editor.

			Michael