mplayer connandline options

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Jul 24 06:45:33 EDT 2008

Georgina Joyce wrote:
> Someone very kindly reminded me that mplayer would enable me to play and
> record the audio from a DVD and proffered this command:
>
> mplayer -quiet   -vo null -dvd-Device /dev/hdc dvd://1

Hi,

One problem I see is that you aren't specifying an audio driver.  That
should make it use the default, but sometimes the default doesn't work
for whatever reason.  Most DVDs are very quiet so that's to be
expected.  If you have a different DVD reader, you could try that in
case you have a buffering problem.  What I would do is use the -au pcm
switch and redirect output to a file.  The manual in html is very
extensive and gives lots of examples.  I just recently saw a way to get
it to write the audio and video streams to separate files, so that's
probably what you want if you're trying to record.  Obviously you don't
need the video stream.  You could also look at a package called
any2dvd.  I know you aren't trying to burn a DVD but it gives commands
for dumping audio streams.