Shane's kernels

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Tue Jul 15 06:50:57 EDT 2008

It'd be good if people actually checked what is true before speaking :)

Please see http://packages.qa.debian.org/linux-modules-extra-2.6

> One thing Daniel didn't mention is that the Lenny installer should
> have accessible images with Braille and Speakup support, which Etch
> will never officially have.

?!?!

Etch _does_ have braille already.

As for Lenny, I've put a preview mini-ISO of what the installer will be
on

http://brl.thefreecat.org/mini.iso

Let the CD boot; when it has spun down, press the tab key and then
speakup.synth=yourdriver
enter, and voilà.  The Debian FTP archive may not be up to date so
that the speakup modules may not be installed on the target before the
reboot, but everything is there for this to happen when that new version
of the installer is officially released.

> I think that Debian is officially supporting the blind, just not as fast
> as one would like or in the manner that Michael seems to think is
> necessary.

Just contribute.

I'm desperate to hear people talking on the debian-accessibility lists.
I sometimes raise issues there, and very few people answer.  I on the
other hand often hear about debian accessibility the kind of complaints
you've just made.  That doesn't help to find the will to work on it, you
know...

> I would like to have a talking system from installation to
> first boot to shutdown but that's not completely possible anyway because
> of the BIOS limitations and because software speech can't start until
> later in the boot process.

Speech is inherently more difficult than writing on video memory indeed,
but not impossible.
About BIOS limitations, google for EFI, tiano core, etc.  There should
be a way to have accessibility modules early in the EFI boot process.

Samuel