status of speakup support for espeak

Hynek Hanke hanke at volny.cz
Mon Jul 14 15:56:06 EDT 2008

John Heim píše v Po 14. 07. 2008 v 09:22 -0500:
> ----- Original Message ----- > It would be great if somebody who thinks that
> Festival
> > is actually worse than eSpeak
> For me it was entirely about response time. Festival was just too slow. Key
> echo was impossible. Espeak worked really well in that regard.

Well, this is one of the points where I think there is confusion.
Festival through Speech Dispatcher CAN'T be slower in key echo
than eSpeak. Since a few years now, Speech Dispatcher doesn't
synthesize keys when used with Festival, it just pulls the audio
from the cache and thus the reply is instant. Festival doesn't
even come in the chain except for the very first time you press the
key after reboot (or restart of speechd).

Now there has been an issue with the older versions of Speechd-Up,
which was actually a problem in Speakup (nothing to do with Festival),
which make key reading slow with some synthesizers -- it wasn't
sending keys correctly. It has been fixed (bypassed actually) in the
latest version of Speechd-Up, which is also pretty old now.

With regards,
Hynek Hanke