starting software speech at boot up

Terry D. Cudney terry.cudney at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 10:43:58 EDT 2008

Hi Daniel, and everyone,

	Since my litetalk died a few weeks ago I have been forced to try harder to get speakup/softspeech working better.

	I have two amd64 machines and one intel core2duo notebook.

	Since softspeech stop talking frequently on all these machines (not just the 64-bit), I wanted an easy way to stop/restart softspeech at any time. Thanks to John Heim <jheim at math.wisc.edu>, I got his script for /etc/init.d/speechd-up along with his debian packages for both intell and amd64 speechd-up version 0.5:

	http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/debian/

	You have to modify the script for the newer speakup/linux filesystem "/sys/module/speakup/parameters" as opposed to the older "/proc/speakup" path.

	This script also invokes speechd-up using 'nice' so you can adjust priority for your system.

	It makes it easy to stop, start, restart the speechd-up daemon.

	Thanks to all the people who have contributed to the speechd-up / speech-dispatcher project!

	--terry

PS I got my new tripletalk synth yesterday, and it will serve for debugging early boot problems, but I am very impressed with the speech quality and responsiveness of the speechd-up/speech-dispatcher/espeak combination on my machines. I think I'll use soft speech for a lot of everyday work from now on. Thanks again to all!