Starting speakup in F9.

Darragh lists at digitaldarragh.com
Sat Jul 5 10:46:53 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I've run out of ideas.

In /var/log/messages it shows me that speakup 3.3 has been initialized.  However, there's no /proc/speakup directory.
Shouldn't this be created when speakup is started?

I've installed Fedora 9,
Installed the dependencies for TTSynth,
Installed the speakup connector,
Looked at how speakup was installed. It's compiled into the kernel and not as a module.
Looked for all speakup files.  I saw speakup_soft.  Has this replaced speakup_sftsyn?
There are only a few .co files and only the Dectalk synth has a .co extention.  Does this perhaps mean that the software synthesizer support is not compiled into speakup?  The .config file in the speakup kernel would seem to suggest that everything is compiled.
Even if sftsyn wasn't compiled into the kernel, it would still lode with the default synthesizer if nothing was passed via grub.conf wouldn't it?

Sorry for the confusion, basically, I really want to know why /proc/speakup doesn't exist and what I'm doing wrong.  Perhaps I've missed an important change between how speakup 2.0 did things and speakup 3.x does things now.

As said earlier, I'm using a Fedora 9 machine, TTSynth as the synth and 've verified that sound is working correctly.

Oh, one further thing.  When I origionally tried to start the speakup connector, it complained that pulseaudio wasn't started.   I tried to run this in daemon mode but after a while I decided to take the easier way out and just uninstalled it.  I'm kind of glad I did too!  Alsamixer seems to be much better without it. Probably for obvious reasons that I don't yet understand.

Any suggestions or pushes in the right direction would be very appreciated.

Darragh
www.digitaldarrah.com