Speech with DSL

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Jan 20 16:03:27 EST 2008

Hello,
I don't know if DSL comes with all you would need, but you could compile
a custom kernel and compile the other software needed should it not be
available. Should the idea of compiling kernels and software be too much
for you, I believe it is possible for GRML to be installed to a USB
storage device and then booted from that, and GRML does come with all
the stuff you need for speech from speakup (including using a software
synthesiser). If you only need hardware synth support, you might find
there are other distros you could use (some possibly being smaller, I
think it is possible to squeeze a speakup enabled kernel (speakup to be
used with a hardware synth), and the very basics to use a system all on
one floppy, but this would be very limited).

From
Michael Whapples