fetchmail and unresolved domain names

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Wed Jan 9 11:08:10 EST 2008

While downloading email with fetchmail, I sometimes get messages like
the following:

fetchmail: SMTP error: 451 4.1.8 Domain of sender address scumsuckingspammer.com at idiotspammers.com does not resolve
reading message rreid at pop3.sunset.net:1 of 11 (17702 octets)................. not flushed

I changed the email address, but the rest of the message is as it
appeared.  The problem is that these kinds of emails seem to be
somewhat hard to remove from the mail server at my ISP.  using the
'--flush' and '-F' parameters with fetchmail do not seem to remove
these kind of junk messages from the server very well.  So, they sit
there wasting disk space and taking up lots of time during email
downloads as they are rechecked for authenticity yet again.  I used to
log into the server via the webmail interface and manually delete this
kind of junk, but my ISP has taken the plunge down into the depths of
VISTA and made the interface inaccessible for nongraphical browsers
such as lynx (the cat) and links (the chain).  So, how can I get rid
of these bits of trashy SPAM?  I have been with this ISP for many
years and would prefer not to change to another one if possible.  Any
constructive suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, and have a great day.

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
...passing through The City of Internet at the speed of light...
SECANT (x) = TAN (x) / COTAN (x)