Finding a suitable filesystem

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Jan 6 19:04:25 EST 2008

I think that ext2 would be your best bet. The projects I'm about to
mention, can work with ext2, but aren't able to work with the journal
part of ext3. Also, you don't want a journaling file system on a flash
drive, since that would make the drive wear out faster.

http://ext2fsd.sourceforge.net/
This is free, as in free source, but I haven't used it, due to the
fact that it was still unstable beta software back when I was needing
to access ext2 partitions under the other popular os. Things may have
changed there since.

http://www.fs-driver.org/
This is what I personally use, and I've found it to be very stable and
reliable. It's freeware, but isn't free source, which doesn't bother
me, though I realize it might bother some. It runs under nt4, 2000, as
well as x86 versions of xp, and 2003. I don't know about vista.

I also remember there was a set of tools which could read ext2
partitions, and do very limited write operations. These ran under dos,
win95, 98, and me. I however don't have the url for that bookmarked,
and am unable to find it. If it's something you're interested in, then
maybe someone else will post the url for that. Hth.

Greg