tripletalk (was 4DOS)

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 27 10:04:22 EST 2008

I traded away my tripletalk to a guy who had a doubletalk precisely because
the tripletalk wouldn't work with newer versions of speakup.  Ever since I
first got the tripletalk, it would take a minute to initialize. The screen
would fill with the message timeout while waiting for input" once a second
for 60 seconds. And then it would start talking. But somewhere around kernel
2.6.18 it stopped working entirely.  So I posted a message on the NFBCS list
asking if anyone with a doubletalk wanted to trade.  Now I have 2
doubletalks, one for home and one for work.

The advantages of the tripletalk are really conveniences anyway. It can be
powered via a USB cable and it has an internal, rechargeable battery. It's
nice to not have to worry about the battery. And the tripletalk has a serial
cable that can be removed so if it wears out, you can just get a new one.
The serial cable on my original doubletalk has worn out twice now.

So the one thing I think RC Systems should do is make the serial cable on
the doubletalk removable. And the company that makes the tripletalk should
make their specs available so it can be made to work with speakup. I think
they're missing out on a lot of sales. I will never buy another one because
of that.