Some Questions about Ubuntu and Orca

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Feb 25 13:39:44 EST 2008

Hi,

I had the identical problem which is why I got sighted help.  I don't
know what the languages are about because it seems to make no
difference.  I think somehow it starts the magnifier or something so you
get no speech.  Also, turning off the computer is fine with a live CD as
long as your hard disk partitions aren't mounted.  I ended up doing that
also.  Obviously we had the identical problem and it is because the
instructions are wrong.  I assume you're using the latest 7.10 release.
Maybe their method worked in earlier releases but not now.  Yes, MPlayer
works very well from the console but I haven't tried it under Gnome.
It's recommended to build a custom version from source but not necessary.