4DOS

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Feb 25 11:59:39 EST 2008

There are two possible issues.  First, you aren't running under true DOS
in XP like you are in Win98.  It's possible that ntvdm is not giving
long filenames to 4DOS for some reason.  ntvdm.exe is the NT virtual DOS
manager.  The other issue is that 4DOS is confused by the version
number.  ntvdm reports itself as 5.0 or 5.1, which is the correct
version of NT.  Obviously, DOS 5 didn't have lfn support.  I know of
another program that got confused by that also.  Remember that
development on 4DOS stopped when XP got popular so there was no reason
for them to fix it.  You could try the latest version though and see if
that helps.  I think it's 7.61.  It wasn't ever intended to run under NT
which is why they had 4NT.  The download site is: http://4dos.hit.bg/