4DOS

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Feb 24 04:46:30 EST 2008

Yes it does.  I can't say that the official JP Software version does but
the new versions at http://4dos.hit.bg/ do and my limited attempts seem
to work.  Also, in Win98, you get both Doublespace and Drivespace.
Dblspace was stolen from Stacker who developed a competing product at
the time.  Drivespace is supposed to be the same or similar but not
compatible.  I think they just licensed it from a different company and
stuck their name on it.  While we're here, remember the BBS era?  Telnet
BBSs are still around and can be accessed from DOS if you have a packet
driver for your NIC card.  Linux of course is much easier in this regard
but the standard telnet won't work because it needs to be a clean 8-bit
connection with no escape char and should allow Zmodem transfers if you
actually want to download files.  Even though I've used Linux on a
server since 2004, using it again with the grml live CD and Speakup
reminded me of the old days with my Apple IIe.  It's amazing how many
packages fit on a CD, albeit compressed.  It's different when running
Linux on a desktop system as opposed to a web and email server.  For
those of you who hesitate, I recommend trying a live CD, not necessarily
grml.  I guess it reminds me so much of the Apple II because everything
is open and easily hackable.  You just don't get that in Windows.