kernel vulnerability

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 18 15:56:18 EST 2008

You can now download a kernel that is not vulnerable from any stable
repository. Any kernel that has a -6 in the name. Like
linux-image-2.6.18-6-686. For instance:

# apt-get install linux-image-2.6.18-6-686

Or you can point apt to an unstable archive and do this:
# apt-get install linux-image-2.6.24-2-686

The problem is that these kernels don't have the speakup patch. Last week I
installed non-speakup kernels on the 100+ machines in tmy department. I
wonder if Shane is going to post 2.6.18-6 kernels on his space on
people.debian.org?

I downloaded the 2.6.24 kernel from an unstable repository. Then I got the
config file from that kernel and used it to build a kernel patched with
speakup. I would imagine that Shane does something similar when he builds
his kernels. I haven't tried the new kernel yet. Various other things have
drawn me away from the kernel problem.  If it works, I am going to have to
go around and install the new kernel on the 100+ machines. Well, I can do
them remotely but it's still going to take me forever.