Help, hopefully I didn't brake bind

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Feb 17 22:41:50 EST 2008

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 09:53:45PM -0500, Daniel C wrote:
> I tried creating a CNAME Record and an A record to point to the CNAME
> Record.

I'm confused. Why are you trying to create an a record for a cname
record, which by the way is an impossible thing to do?

> I use Webmin to do this. In the name part of the CNAME Record form, I put
> www.
> In the target field I put the full domain.
> For the A record, in the name part, I put just www and in the ip address
> field I put the IP address. Bind wouldn't let me save the A record as www.

I'm still not clear on what you're trying to do. Perhaps if you
explain what you're wanting to achieve by this, I or someone else can
tell you how to go about doing it.

> Does the last part:
>
> client 67.35.73.178#32774: received notify for zone 'danielcproductions.net'

All that means is that your backup name server acknowledged a message
from your main name server that there has been an update made to your zone.

> Mean that the zone works properly now? And what does it mean, ignoreing out
> of zone data www? did I brake something?

Without seeing line 18 of your zone file, or better yet, the whole
zone file, I couldn't tell you. What it does mean though, is that
something is not right in the zone.

One of the things I said in that long reply that got held by the list
software, was that I have the impression that you haven't really read
up on bind. Reading your last couple of posts, I'm fairly certain of
that being correct. My suggestion to you would be to stop right there,
get a good understanding of how bind, zones, and dns work, and then
pick up from where you are now. While I understand that you're eager
to get your domain setup, I do think that it's better to understand how
things fit together now, rather than having to figure it out in a
hurry somewhere down the road, because your dns setup isn't working
the way it's supposed to, and your domain is gone off the net until
you get the problem solved. My personal feeling is that while tools
like webmin/webadmin are good for making quick changes to something
that already works, I don't think they have what it takes to do admin
work on a system from the get-go, like the various wizards in the
other popular os do.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org