might be a little off topic, running orca in background

Doug Smith dougsmith1 at charter.net
Sun Feb 10 15:10:15 EST 2008

I have a weird question for someone out there.  Has any of you
installed the latest version of ubuntu, code name: hearty?  I just
downloaded it a few days ago, and, only yesterday, tried to install it
after getting some new discs so that I would have one to burn it on.
I just want to experiment with it so I thought I would play around
with it.

Well, everything seemed to work but the installation process.  I know
that the latest, and possibly, the only documentation I can find is
for the installation of ubuntu feisty.

well, here's what I did.  I got orca working and configured to its
laptop keyboard layout, perfect.  Now to attempt the install.

When I have entered sudo su, and have become the root user, I kill
orca with the appropriate command, caps-lock q, which indicates to me
that I am going to quit orca.  I hit the quit button and orca goes
away.  Just what I want to have happen, especially if I follow the
instructions at:

http://live.gnome.org/UbuntuFeisty

or whatever that link is.  Well, now, to try it.  I remember that you
are to have a terminal with an instance of orca running in it, but
with no setup window and in the background.

orca --no-setup --disable main-window&

Well, orca comes up, says welcome to orca, and procedes to block the
terminal.  It will not background.

Ok, we have to log out and in again.  I have memorized the way to do
this without speech since I have had to do it over 25 times yesterday.

Ok, back in again.  I will try this one the next time.

orca -n -d=main-window&

I have tried to enter two command lines, both ending with an & sign,
but orca will not background.  As you have seen.  So I will try this:

I try the same linでs again, but, this time, spacing between the last
letter of the command and the & sign.  Still won't work.

The one thing I need to know is how to start a backgrounded instance
of orca so that I can run ubiquity, which I can deal with if I can
just get speech the way I want it.

Thanks.

Doug Smith

--