Accessible virtual machine: preferably debian

Don Raikes don.raikes at Oracle.com
Thu Feb 7 11:05:49 EST 2008

Cheryl,

I would be interested in knowing how you got xp installed into a virtual machine.
I am running windows xp pro, and have vmware server installed, but need  a copy of windows 2007 and vista for testing purposes, but have not been successful in getting them installed into virtual machines without requiring sighted help.

http://vam.vmware.com
I found lots of possible debian and also ubuntu candidates, but had no way of being sure which ones would include brltty or speakup or at least espeak. I realize I might be able to install these programs once I have the virtual machine up and running, but I would need at least something that would give me sound at the command line so I would have some way of verifying that the machine is indeed up and running. I'd also need to be sure that I indeed could access a console rather than the system just being gui, though I'm not sure whether they all have console ability or not. I don't mind having to do alt-ctrl-f1 to get a console if the console is actually there, but then I'd have to be able to run espeak or something from the command line that would give sound so I could know I had the machine running and was in a console. I'm not wanting to run orca; just want text console. Of course, on the mac, I do have access to Terminal and can use Darwinports and/or fink there, but wou!
 ld still like to have a debian installation in virtual machine form.

Can anybody tell me whether there's a virtual appliance I can use and direct me to it?

Tia.

Cheryl

"Where your treasure is,
there will your heart be also."