well I got one too

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sun Feb 3 19:27:48 EST 2008

Pressing the f2 key during bootup accesses the cmos setup utility stored in
the bios.
This is usually stored in a flash rom however historically was either stored
in eprom or true rom chips.

the cmos only stors the configuration settings as it is low power hardware
and used to cost a lot of money. In old computers there was only 128 or 256
bytes of cmos, in newer machines there is as much as 4k ACPI NVS
9non-volatile storage) along with escd (extended system configuration data)
and the bios configuration information.

Historically the cmos configuration information was stored in memory on the
realtime chip, often a Dalace semiconducters part although there were
clones.

The original question was will erasing partitions delete the bios.
The answer to this is no, the bios is stored on a flash chip, and is
responsible for booting a computer including the power on self test,
changing and interpreting cmos settings, and basic input and output
services.
these include keyboard (int 09 and 16h) screen, int 10h,
disk services, int 13h, printer services, int 14h, bootstrap functions,
int19h and memory allocation services and other misc functions int 15H.

Modern pcs still use the bios to bootstrap the machine; after all grub uses
extended int 13h functions to load sectors from the hard or floppy disks,
and in the case of the eeepc the sd and usb subsystems can show as bios
drives.

in fact hitting escape at boot instructs the bios which has control at this
point to show a boot menu showing which drive should be treated as bios
drive 0x80 or the first bios hard disk.

hitting f2 at boot accesses the setup utility. I think this utility is often
copied into ram from the flash chips in order to cause it to run faster, or
it is shadowed.

I have spent many an hour in my younger days disassembling parts of bios to
see how they worked, along with various timer tick routines that certain
access software used.
There are many stories of dos based /b /bios -b /cga and other switches;
telix would write communications input and output through bios to the screen
if you told it to do cga snow-checking.
this made the screen talk with various screen readers and allowed the screen
readers to track the menu bars using their own methods.
Regards, Kerry.