newsreading with debian lenny

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Dec 23 06:56:01 EST 2008

Alex Snow wrote:
> If he's running leafnode he'd want to point his newsreader to
> localhost.
> I'm not sure why he'd bother use leafnode, I always just used rtin and
> set it to use my ISP's newsserver.

Because maybe his ISP news server is slow and crappy like most are.
Unless you pay for something like Supernews, it makes more sense to
locally archive groups that you want to read.  I have extensive archives
of some newsgroups that would be impossible with any ISP news server
that I've used.  Even with a good news server, it seems common to have
dropped articles.  I don't mean spam, I mean good articles that get
dropped for no reason.  It's very hard to follow a discussion with 1/3
of the conversation missing.  No, I'm not pushing for Supernews,
actually there are better pay news services out there.  I only mention
them because they're cheap and offer good text archives.  I think it's
$5 or $6 per month.  Granted that isn't free, but it's better than the
local ISP news server.

In cases of readers other than tin, especially with very old readers
like slrn, they expect you to run a local news server, thus leafnode is
a good option.  Usenet, like other aspects of the Internet, goes back a
very long time, long before broadband and the days when anyone could
pull their own small news feed.