system with speakup software already installed?

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Dec 22 12:31:20 EST 2008

Hello,
Here is what I have found about GRML when installed. The swspeak option
only inserts the software speech module and gives a speech message to
inform you of it, you still need to run swspeak when booting is finished
(like on the CD). Unlike the CD when installed to HD you get placed at a
login prompt, log in before running swspeak. In fact when booting
finished you may not want to run swspeak as that will adjust volumes,
etc and I preferred to add espeakup to the start up scripts.

Something else which caught me out when using GRML2hd is that it inserts
a default username and if you don't clear that when installing and just
type a username then you actually end up with the default plus your
username (eg. I think the default is grml and I just typed my username
when installing as mike (without backspacing to remove the default as I
missed that as I was rushing) and so the username then was grmlmike when
I had installed).

Hope some of that might clear up why when installed GRML might not speak.

Michael Whapples