newsreading with debian lenny

Keith Barrett lists at barrettpianos.co.uk
Sun Dec 21 13:04:37 EST 2008

Just realised I sent this from the wrong address so probably did not get
to the list.

I am having some problems with slrn and leafnode but I think the problem
may be more slrn.

I have leafnode configured and it appears to go and collect a list of
newsgroups from the isp.  However, running slrn gives the error

connecting to debian.barrettpianos.co.uk runtime error failed to
initialise server.

I can telnet in by telnet localhost 119 and get a connection.

I have also tryed with tin a while ago with similar resaults.

Would be glad of some suggestions as I am not finding much info on the
net.

I presume slrn will work with speakup?

Many thanks

Keith