system with speakup software already installed?

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri Dec 19 21:36:14 EST 2008

Read and read carefully: 2.6.26 or later.
2.6 patch level 26
patch level 26 or later.

your kernel is 2.6.24; see the returned string from uname -r you give:
2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-686

this kernel is 2 patch levels too old.

kernels which will not work: 2.6.25, 2.6.24 2.6.23 and earlier.

You can put speakup into an earlier source tree but you'll need to patch it
and this is not covered here.

You'd need to upgrade to testing or unstable to get a newer kernel.

Regards, Kerry.