speakup and hald conflict in Slackware 12.2

Zachary Kline klinez at onid.orst.edu
Tue Dec 16 12:27:45 EST 2008

Hi Alex,
    Yes, this is with Virtualbox 2.0.6.  If I may ask, how are you trying to
get it to use a serial port?  vboxmanage is currently broken in that regard.
I used the GUI settings pages to configure mine.  It's a little difficult:
the QT accessibility library is somewhat lacking.  Nevertheless, I got it
working.
    Essentially, you have to go into the VM settings dialogue and use the
tab control to get over to the serial ports section.  It starts off with a
checkbox to decide whether to activate the ports.
    Actually, this part is quite doable with vboxmanage.  If you prefer
that, you want a command something like:
vboxmanage modifyvm "Vmname" -uart1 0x3f8 4.
    The only part that requires the GUI is assigning the port to a physical
device.  Go into that settings panel as above mentioned and you'll
eventually find that serial tab.  The checkbox and port number are already
set, so tab over until you find a series of what are essentially radio
buttons.  There's one about connecting to a pipe, which you'll recognize
because once you select that there's another checkbox which becomes active
asking if you want Virtualbox to create the pipe itself.  At any rate, you
want the other radio button: there's only a box asking for "Port Path" with
that one.  Just put in the device name, e.g. COM3 in my case, and you should
be set.
Hope this helps.
Best,
Zack.