speakup and hald conflict in Slackware 12.2

Zachary Kline klinez at onid.orst.edu
Tue Dec 16 02:16:22 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory Nowak" <greg at romuald.net.eu.org>
To: "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux." <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 10:42 PM
Subject: Re: speakup and hald conflict in Slackware 12.2

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 07:36:54PM -0800, Zachary Kline wrote:
>> I, too, am
>> using a Dectalk USB in serial mode, with VirtualBox, for what that's
>> worth.
>
> Well, I've got gnome, and hal too, running under debian testing in
> virtualbox, and am not seeing sluggish response, when using the bns as
> the synth. So, I'd say that whether running under virtualbox, or on
> actual iron probably doesn't make a difference here, since using the
> bns on a real box is fine here, in both cases (except for vbox's
> serial port issues), as I've said before.
>
> BTW, speaking of virtualbox, how are you managing to use the dectalk,
> given vbox's serial port issues?
>
> http://vbox.innotek.de/ticket/812

Hi Greg,
    I'm using Virtualbox 2.0.6 under a Windows XP host.  I haven't noticed
any serial port issues, certainly not as described in the above ticket.
(Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that by default the Dectalk
USB in serial mode seems to use Xon/Xoff handshaking?)
    I use a USB-to-serial converter on both my desktop and laptop with the
Dectalk this way.  VirtualBox doesn't react oddly at all, and the unit just
works.  I must confess, though, that the intricacies of serial
communications are for the most part beyond me.  I'm just glad to be able to
say that it works for me, though I don't know why.
Hope this helps, somehow.
Best,
Zack.