speakup and hald conflict in Slackware 12.2

Zachary Kline klinez at onid.orst.edu
Mon Dec 15 22:36:54 EST 2008

Hi,
    For what it's worth, this problem isn't specific to Slackware.  Today,
on Debian Lenny Rc 1, I ran into the same issue.  I installed Gnome and
found that along with the other dependencies it pulled in Hal.  Low and
behold, rebooting my machine gave me sluggish performance.  I, too, am using
a Dectalk USB in serial mode, with VirtualBox, for what that's worth.
Best,
Zack.