tin newsreader on debian lenny

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Dec 15 06:40:40 EST 2008

Keith Barrett wrote:
> I want to connect to my isp's newsserver and download newsgroup
> articles.

You should use rtin or tin -r.

> Not sure if I will need something like leafnode or whether tin can
> connect directly.

That depends on if you want to store articles locally or not.  If you
really want archives of a particular newsgroup, suck or leafnode would
be a good idea, otherwise it's not necessary.

> At present, I cannot find where I should be putting the server
> information

You need to define the NNTPSERVER environment variable.  You might be
able to pass this on the command line as well, but the above is
suggested.  You could try "tin -r news.example.com" and see if that works.

> If I run tin, I get an error message that newsrc cannot be written.

Try "touch .newsrc" in your home dir.  If that doesn't work, try "touch
.tin/newsrc" or similar instead.  You could also manually put the name
of a newsgroup in there, like:

echo 0.test >.newsrc