problem compiling speakup modules on vibuntu 1.2

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Dec 14 06:19:50 EST 2008

Kitty Litter wrote:
> All went well till line 492 of main.c. Wondering if anyone else has
> gotten this to work? The  file main.c had date in May 2008 so was
> wondering if there was a later speakup-source. Can anyone help this
> poor old windows user out?

You need to pull the latest Speakup source from git, change to the src
directory under where you created the git pull and run:

make modules
make modules_install

It's still necessary to at least have build-essential and
module-assistant to make sure you pull in all needed dependencies such
as the full gcc, kernel headers, etc.  You could also try ftp to a
Debian mirror and getting the latest unstable Speakup source .deb
package and installing it manually.  That should still work with m-a,
but sometimes I've noticed that m-a wants to download the source
anyway.  Note that none of this is for Ubuntu and hasn't been tested on
anything but Debian Lenny and unstable.