Sluggish Cursoring in ssh?

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Sat Dec 13 13:37:53 EST 2008

Well during the last couple of months there were times my shell provider had
much slower downloads--and near the end of that time frame I notice lots of
trouble while editing or arrowing.  Well, now the downloads are faster than
ever, but the cursoring is much worse, trying 2 different unix shells.
Arrowing left-and-right I am hearing different letters--and many times arrowing
down I hear a duplication of the line above.  When I am just working in the
local machine I am not noticing any of this, but since my DSL speed has not
dropped--and actually shellworld is faster, I have no idea why these cursoring
issues are happening.
And also, while on shellworld with Speakup, in 4-years, I never hear a
character I backspace over, as I do on the hard-drive.
In the dectalk well actually dectlk directory, cursor time is set at  100.
Trigger time is at 30
Delay time is 400
Full-time is 1000, whatever that is.
Those look to be any relivant settings, but speaking of settings, ever since
this newer speakup in FC9, we mostly cannot load my altered settings in the
charactors file.  For example, I fixed 9 so it says niner  and tried to fix the
letter zee.
In the old days I could just make changes in these tiny files--and make sure
they were in the right 2 places, but now its much more complicated.
Can some1 please tell us if we can fix any of these items?  And thanks in
advance.
Hart