applications that work well with speakup

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Aug 26 04:58:59 EDT 2008

Don Raikes wrote:
> I am looking for things like web browsers, email clients, irc /
> messenger clients. Anything that a beginner to advanced user would like.

Hi,

Probably what I say will be duplicates of other people, but here you
go.  For email, mutt and Alpine.  I don't use Alpine but have seen it
recommended.  For web browsers, Lynx the cat and Links.  I prefer Lynx
the cat myself but Links works well enough.  For irc, I suggest irssi
which was recommended here.  I still like the standard irc client ircII,
but it has accessibility issues unless you use a dumb terminal.  You
could also include telnet and ssh clients.  For games, look at
http://mirror.ifarchive.org/if-archive/ for interactive fiction.
Interpreters for most IF formats should be available as rpm packages.  I
can't recommend a messenger client yet.  For other games, you could look
at tintin++ which is a mud client and seems accessible.