making speakup speed up

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Aug 22 06:21:51 EDT 2008

Tyler Littlefield wrote:
> I've got another problem. for some random reason, when I use alt+fw
> and others, it does some 0 clear 0 zed ssh stuff... and is randomly
> printing out my uptime.
> Any reason for this?
> I've also noticed that it seems to spell out the first line of a
> command, is this just a bug?

Hi,

There might be a bug with software speech, I don't know because I don't
use it.  The messages you're getting with strange numbers and your
uptime are from zsh.  Switch to bash and that will go away.  I couldn't
stand zsh doing that either.  It only creates unnecessary confusion for
speech users unless you really need/want that information.  What you're
seeing isn't actually your uptime, it's how long it took a particular
command to run and the drain on your processor etc.