mini-beep.iso question

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Aug 21 06:34:15 EDT 2008

Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Jude DaShiell, le Thu 21 Aug 2008 00:39:26 -0400, a écrit :
>

>> and maybe change the frequency of the boot up beep so it can't be
>> confused with normal speaker beeps.
>>

> That's not simple: for now syslinux just emits ^G, which the bios
> interprets as "do a beep".  Another frequency would require driving the
> speaker ourself from syslinux.  How could it be confused with the normal
> speaker beeps anyway?  Some machines do beep already at boot, but then
> you'll just get a second one, I don't see how that can be confusing.

Hi,

I've successfully installed mini-beep.iso with no problems at all.  On
the system I used, the computer beeps twice before boot.  The beep from
the mini-beep.iso sounds different than the standard ^G to me.  I hear a
total of three beeps, two on boot and one when the CD loads, but I have
no problem telling that the final beep is different and that the CD is
booted.  It would be nice not to press Tab first, but that's minor.  I
had problems with my Doubletalk LT and Speakup timing out, but that's a
different discussion.  I really don't see how the beep could be
confusing as it sounds completely different to me, but I suppose that
could be dependent on each machine.