software speech

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Aug 21 06:10:12 EDT 2008

Gregory Nowak wrote:
> If I recall correctly, you're doing ssh access via windows and
> jaws. If that's so, then that may be your problem. I've never used
> jaws, so can't comment there. However, I can say that I try to avoid
> ssh clients under windows as much as possible. If using ssh as a
> client under gnu/linux, you should indeed have no problems doing
> menuconfig, or anything else for that matter. It's so seamless in
> fact, that you can easily forget you're not logged in on a physical
> console (I.E. sitting in front of a keyboard physically attached to
> the machine you're logged in on). That's not the case when using a
> windows ssh client, at least it never has been for me.

Hi,

I would have to at least mostly agree.  I use the Cygwin ssh client
without any problems, but it leaves a lot to be desired as far as
overall accessibility in anything other than Windows 98.  The problem is
Windows, not the ssh client.  I recommend the Cygwin ssh client if your
screen reader gives good command prompt access.  The problem I run into
is that a GUI environment doesn't do well at handling console apps,
specifically GUI screen readers don't do well with command prompts or
text-based programs such as the Cygwin ssh client, telnet, etc.  I
wouldn't quite go so far as to say that access from Linux to another
Linux system is seemless, but it's a lot better than going through
Windows.  I've noticed that the Speakup keyboard echo is slightly less
responsive with ssh but I can certainly live with it.  With Cygwin, ssh
is very slow and I often have to wait a few seconds for what I'm typing
to catch up.  The standard Linux openssh client doesn't have that
problem at all.  There was once that I was working on a Linux server
from my Linux desktop with ssh.  I kept trying commands and couldn't
figure out why things weren't working.  Basically I forgot that I wasn't
on my local desktop.  Once I logged off the server, I realized that in
fact the program I had been using wasn't on my desktop.  My point is
that I would agree with Greg in that it's far better than anything you
can do in Windows.