slackware 12.1 questions

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Thu Aug 21 00:33:27 EDT 2008

The issues with slackware 12.0 not prompting for replacement of disk1 and
exploding when the /kernels/speakup.s directory cannot be found have been
made far worse in slackware 12.1.  Earlier I wrote about a workaround for
slackware 12.0 in which all packages that were checked starting with
[f,k,t,x,y] needed to be unchecked and installed later no longer works in
slackware 12.1.  You do get down to where the kernel copy is supposed to
happen but slackware 12.1 now errors out at that point and does not copy
any kernel automagically.  If an upgrade path is possible and anyone doing
this will need to take the exclude off of kernel* because slackware has
recompiled all kernels for slackware 12.1 including speakup.s and put all
of the security fixes into them that were current at the date of this
kernel's release.  The last time such a recompile was done was with
Slackware 7.0 at least by the people over at slackware.com.  Understand
this bad experience has happened multiple times over here and on every
occassion I had a talking install since I did include the proper speakup
parameters to make it happen for this synthesizer.  What happens after the
kernel fails to install is that it's also impossible to install lilo since
lilo needs as a prerequisite to have that kernel on that hard drive living
happily.