What are the advantages of Speakup over Orca?

Nick Stockton nstockton at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 17:57:23 EDT 2008

I think that orca is a good project but it still needs allot of work
On my computer at least it is very slow and I can boot windows log in and
load up a screen reader in the time it takes to load a site like youtube.com
in firefox using orca.
Now my computer only has one core and it is 32-bit and has 768 mb of ram so
that could be the problem but I don't think I should need a dual core with 4
gigs of ram to load up the youtube home page. *smile*
speakup on the other hand has had lots of time to be developed and it's been
around for allot longer and it's constantly being updated to work with the
latest kernels.
also speakup is much more responsive currently in the console than orca is
in gnome-terminal.
The best way to test a screen reader I think is to try to play a mud game
with it.
orca can read well enough to execute some basic command line applications
but when I try to use my console mud client to play a mud It can't take it
and blocks of text start getting left out and it becomes real slow.
Speakup on the other hand I've been using to play mud games since 2003 and
it works wonderfully.
I can hear and review info on the screen allot faster than I could using a
windows based screen reader which is very important for fast pace muds or
muds with allot of spam.
Let me say again that I think orca is a great project and I'm glad that
there is a screen reader for the gnome GUI in active development but at the
moment, for me it's not yet a usable replacement for a windows screen reader
and internet explorer/firefox or speakup using lynx/links in the linux
console but I hope it will be some day.

Nick Stockton