What are the advantages of Speakup over Orca?

Cody Hurst churst35 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 16 10:06:19 EDT 2008

Speakup is strictly for command line, a virtual console. Orca on the
other hand is intended to be a screen reader for the GUI desktop
environment, gnome. If you are good with bash and want to work in the
command line without the hastle of a desktop, then using speakup would
be the best choice. However I'm sure you know already you will need an
external synthisizer such as a double talk lt or a bns. Orca is
maintained by sun, speakup is not.

HTH,
Cody