problem auto-starting speakup/sd/speechd-up combination Ubuntu 7.10

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Wed Aug 13 05:45:04 EDT 2008

Good day,
I have installed speech-dispatcher and speechd-up from packages and am
having a problem getting speech to automatically start.
I see that speech-dispatcher is automatically started by the
/etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher script, but my current situation is:
I am running a killall for both speech-dispatcher and speechd-up in
rc.local before envoking both with sleep statements inbetween from
rc.local.
I get to a login prompt without speech and once signed on, I can killall
speechd-up and run it again by hand and then have speech.
Adding the killall speechd-up and the re-execution after a sleep statement
into rc.local does not work.
Any ideas?
TIA, Willem
ps. this is a 600 MHZ old Athlon processor.