Feedback on the New Espeakup Connecter

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Wed Aug 6 05:19:34 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 08:36:36PM -0400, Zachary Kline wrote:
> Steve Holmes wrote:

<snip>

> Hi,
>    I have had some speech loss, but it always returns a few seconds
> later.  I don't really mind it, and it's infrequent.  When I used
> spk-connect-ttsynth, I had speech loss similar to what you describe.  I
> had to kill that program quite often, whereas Espeakup I don't need to.
>    I'm afraid I don't know how to solve your dmix issue: Alsa just works
> for my sound card, even when mplayer is running.
> Best,
> Zack.

Hi Steve and Zack,

I've been using espeakup for about 48 hours now, and have not had any
loss of speech. I occasionally get a word or partial word repeated at
the start of an utterance, more often than with speech-dispatcher, but
no total losses of speech.  I am using espeak from the Debian package
archives in Sid, not sure of the version. And I get no interference
with other alsa applications running at the same time. I did fine that
flite_time, an OSS application, could not open the audio device when an
alsa application was outputting, but that problem was solved with aoss
preceding flite_time on its command line. Steve, if mplayer says it
cannot open the audio device, make sure you have asked it to use alsa,
and that it is not trying to open /dev/dsp.

Chuck