Debian Questions

Robert Spangler spangler.robert at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 16:58:56 EDT 2008

So then if I want to run Orca from source, I might as well aptitude
remove gnome-accessibility, since the Gnome install guide from source
has one checkout AT-SPI, and a few other packages along with Orca, or
just aptitude remove those packages?

Also, someone stated that doing apt-get install lilo would remove Grub.
  It did not.  I installed Lilo, configured it, and ran grub - it was
still there.  So I did a aptitude purge grub.  If I remember properly,
the MBR is installed on /dev/hda.  Does this mean that the boot line in
/etc/lilo.conf should be /dev/hda and root = should be /dev/hda1?  Some
of the wording in liloconfig was a little...misleading.  I'm used to the
Slackware liloconfig.

Also, Debian recommends using kernel-package for building custom
kernels; what are your thoughts on this?  Sounds like it would make it
more convenient but I am a traditional kernel building guy.