Debian Questions

Robert Spangler spangler.robert at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 00:33:30 EDT 2008

Hello,

I managed to get Debian installed with Samuel's beep test image.  I
installed the standard system and desktop groups.  First, I am a little
bothered that the system didn't let me opt out of installing Grub; I
wanted to install Lilo.  I hit ctrl+C at that screen, hoping that I
would be put back at the main menu where I could select this.  The
manual says to hit the go back button or whatever but I was unable to
tab to any buttons.  So I went ahead and let it install Grub then it
rebooted.  It rebooted, however, into Gnome!  Some how I managed to get
to a console and set the default boot level in inittab to 3 thinking
this would boot me in console mode.  I rebooted and it did not.  So how
can I make it where I only have Gnome when I ask for it?  Also, how do I
switch between Gnome and the console?  Thanks.

Robby