reconfiguring xserver-xorg (xorg.conf)

Terry D. Cudney terry.cudney at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 12:34:57 EDT 2008

Hi Chuck, John and everyone interested in this thread,

	Just wondering, Chuck, did you find a solution to your problem?

	I have a similar problem here, except that I have a monitor connected. After the initial installation of Debian Sid (now kernel v 2.6.26) the xserver/gdm/gnome/etcetera all worked fine. After a "aptitude  sae-upgrade", the xserver was updated and has not worked since.

	On examining the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, it appears that the definition for my monitor is missing/incorrect.
	On initial installation, and on other systems, it identifies my monitorcorrectly, a Sony GDM-500ps.

	Now this Debian sid system has:
X.Org X Server 1.4.2
Release Date: 11 June 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0

	I have tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, as suggested, with low priority enabled, but it only askes for input re keyboard, nothing about the monitor or mouse.

	I have also installed the 'xdebconfigurator' package that should update the configuration on reboot, but no joy.

	If you have found a solution, could you please share it?

	TIA,

	--terry