fedora 7 doubletalk boot freeze?

Tom Fowle fowle at ski.org
Tue Apr 29 19:32:45 EDT 2008

Greetings from a , list and speakup relative newby.

I have Speakup with a doubletalk PC under fedora 7 on a 1 gig Asis P2b board
with a processor upgrade to the 1 gig speed. 340Mb ram.

Installed with Bill Acker's help.

It freezes on boot before finding the synth, maybe a third of the boot tries.
screen says only:
"booting the kernel"
and never proceeds further.

When it works, it works just fine.

When it freezes it needs a complete shut off with the nasty power button
or it will never start.

So far as I can tell, booting without speakup this doesn't happen.

I've tried changing the doubletalk's address jumpper to a couple
different locations resulting in the same behavior.

I did not update the kernel after install when I did the suggested
update all

Any ideas, other than "get a new computer" would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom Fowle