Speakup and Linux 2.6.24 - Almost Got It Working

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Mon Apr 14 19:08:14 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:53:57PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> You are rather looking for the the soft driver and the speechd-up
> program.

	Actually, I'm looking to use the Lite-Talk to boot up, and then
	switch over to the software synth when rc.local is run. in the
hope of three things:

1. Being able to hear bootup messages.
2. Stop synth crashes from requiring a reboot.
3. Take SpeakUP on/offline when switching to Orca.

	I dunno about #3, as I tend to use both CLI and GUI
simultaneously, and trying to use the keypad in the GUI causes both
SpeakUP and Orca to start talking.  If there's a work-around for it
already, I haven't read about it as yet, as it usually takes 15 to 30
minutes to read and navigate some wiki site with links2 and Speakup to
find docs that should be in the binary package.

			Michael