Speakup and 2.6.24.4

Robert Spangler spangler.robert at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 19:56:11 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I am having trouble with patching Speakup into 2.6.24.4.  I thought I got
around this at one time before but not sure what is happening now.

First, I got the tarball for linux-2.6.24.4, untarred it into /usr/src and
created a linux symlink.  (Wasn't sure if I needed to do this or not).  I
then checked out speakup from the git tree at linux-speakup.org into
/usr/src/speakup.  I switched to this directory and then did ./install
/usr/src/linux.  It installed, giving a couple of cp errors saying that
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/speakup wasn't a directory but these are OK
since the patches did succeed.  Then, when I switched to the kernel
directory and did make menuconfig, I got an error about Kconfig not being
found in /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/speakup.  To see what would happen, I
did touch on that file to create it, then ran menuconfig and it worked;
however, I could not find Speakup Console Speech in the Device Drivers
section.  Any idea what's going on here?  Also, upon doing a make mrproper,
it bitched that /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/speakup/Makefile couldn't be
found.  I assume that a few of these have to do with the speakup dir not
being under the linux source tree but this was not indicated as required in
the installation instructions and the Kconfig file doesn't exist in the
speakup directory anyways.

Thanks,
Robby