Fedora CD Problems

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Sep 25 08:44:34 EDT 2007

Kerry Hoath writes:
> You are not understanding the documentation correctly; unless there is
> something special about fedora modified that I am unaware of.

This is also what I suspect.

> The rescue and boot images are for floppy disks, _not_ cds.

Actually, not so any longer. I don't recall when exactly this changed,
but it was some years ago. There is no longer a way to boot Fedora from
floppy disks.

Still, one doesn't "copy" the files, one creates a disk from those
images. This is a distinction many new users have some trouble coming to
grips with.

> You should be able to put disk 1 of your cheap bytes set into the machine in
> question, configure the bios to boot from cdrom and then boot the install
> from there.

Exactly. And, it will not talk until the point indicated in our
Installation HOWTO, which is in time for the second prompt, but not for
the first.

Please note that it's my understanding he got the Speakup Modified
Fedora from CheapBytes.

In any case, if the CD fails, it will provide some indication of why,
just as any booting Linux will, e.g. kernel panic, etc.

> When we installed the standard fedora we just set the bios up and inserted
> the first cd.

And the Speakup Modified works that way as well--but the drive must boot
the computer via bios, and one does have to deal with the first
nontalking prompt properly.

Janina