Capturing Audio

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Sat Sep 15 14:53:35 EDT 2007

OK, I have a friend from the local San Fernando Valley LUG who wrote me a
script, as I wanted to rip an ABC-News feed of the Presidents speech.  Since
the commands seemed complicated, he wrote this.  I asked-and-got his permission
to post this, first here are his comments
it's just a simple wrapper
script to simplify things, so you don't have recall the switches and
parameters.
Just let them know I hope to make an improvements on it soon,
so you don't have to parse out the real stream URL from the
XML .ASF or .ASX (or whatever it was!).  Also maybe have a timer
setting, to automaticly end things.  I don't know if you're familiar
with the 'at' command, but it might be usefull to schedule
when to run the thing.

Regards,

Dallas E. Legan II / aw585 at lafn.org / dallas.legan at gmail.com
Begin streamrip
#!/bin/bash
#  12 Sept 2007  d.e.l.
# $Id: streamrip,v 1.1 2007/09/13 04:00:11 dallas Exp dallas $
#  make sure there are not lines before the '#!/bin/bash' line above
#  make sure that you 'chmod +x ...'  this file to make it executable

USAGE="$0 -h |  <URL> file.avi"

case ${1:0:2}  in
-h | -H | -? | /h | /H | /? )
       echo ${USAGE}  ;  exit
       ;;
-- )
       case  ${1:2:1}  in
       h | H | ? )
         echo ${USAGE}  ;  exit
         ;;
       * )
       esac
       ;;
* )
esac

mencoder  -oac copy   -ovc copy  -o ${2}    ${1}
Back again with some comments.  He says I want to kill mencoder when I am done
recording.  Also, probably want a quiet switch for mencoder.
In reality, yes my feed did record.
Hart