ot: the best online computer parts store?

Jane Lee applegoddess at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 19:14:13 EDT 2007

On 9/14/07, Cody <churst35 at verizon.net> wrote:
> Mid range is what I'm looking for I need nothing fancy.

And I assure you, Newegg will have what you're looking for, AND give
you some variety.  Even if you're looking for mid-range pricing, there
are plenty of awesome dual channel kits that are heavily discounted on
newegg, $60-70 for 2x1gb shipped e.g.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227231

On 9/14/07, Doug Smith <dougsmith1 at charter.net> wrote:
> I guess you wouldn't want to overclock.  The chief reason I can think
> of for this is the expense of buying another chip when you burn it up.
> It does sound like fun to have the thing going much faster than it is
> designed to do, and you might even need it.

I used to be really into overclocking..at some point I had a liquid
cooled setup (vs. air with fans) and all...unless you have good
hardware and a good cooling system, I really don't recommend it,
because things will overheat and not be very nice.

If you're contemplating it, DFI is a motherboard manufacturer that
sells mostly high end enthusiast-quality stuff that's absolutely
fantastic for overclocking (and gaming too, hehe).  I'm a huge fan of
their lanparty mobos...wanted to get one after the one in my gaming
box got screwed up (older DFI mobo, but it was fried by an ignorant
guest), but Fry's didn't have it and I really needed a replacement
that day, sigh.  Later, though.  Grin.

cheers,
jane