ot: the best online computer parts store?

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Fri Sep 14 14:18:40 EDT 2007

Overclocking, how it is done, depends on the processor and the
motherboard. On some motherboards, actually it's the BIOS,
you can change the clock multipliers in BIOS. Others may have
jumpers, but in some cases you have to actually modify the
processor using a tedious process of changing on chip jumpers.
I wouldn't want to mess with the latter option. My motherboard
allows changing the bus and cpu clock in bios. What will happen
though, unless you add new cooling methods is often the OS
will crash due to corrupted bus data, memory data, or even
instructions. Overclocking should be considered just a hobby
for the purpose of "because you can". It's really not useful for
regular apps unless you have lots of time and patience to try
many different clocking schemes. If you do plan to overclock
then get better heat sink and better fans for processor and
the case itself.

  -- Doug