Reinstalling just the kernel in Fedora

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Sep 14 09:58:10 EDT 2007

Hi, Liz:

Wow, we cannot easily move forward under the circumstance that Dell
replaced a 64-bit CPU with a 32-bit one. However, rest assured we can
get your data off the drive.

The best course of action, imho, is to get ahold of Dell and scream
bloody murder about this insult. And, you can perfectly explain they owe
you a replacement, and not a CPU downgrade. It's pretty outrageous,
actually.

Heck, I could even expostulate my own rant here, but I'll resist. It
really is pretty outrageous.

If you don't get a 64-bit processor back in that machine, I'm afraid we
would have to reinstall Fedora. It might be a good idea anyway, since
we're now up to Fedora 7, but it should happen when you're ready, and
not as a response to distress.

Bottom line is that Dell owes you. And, since you're crunching numbers
with your computer, you're actually using all those extra processor bits
more than most of us. All the more reason not to accept this insult.

Let us know.

Janina