ot: the best online computer parts store?

Jane Lee applegoddess at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 23:16:17 EDT 2007

On 9/13/07, Cody <churst35 at verizon.net> wrote:
> For all of your information, I just purchased a mini wireless finder from
> outlet pc for $13. Try beating that price anywhere else like best buys or
> newegg. I looked at some of the so called specials at newegg and they were
> not specials. Very pricy.

I have no idea what you're looking at, but for the vast majority of
components newegg has a huge selection of products from reputable and
generic manufacturers and their prices on said products range from
average to really low specials.  And to be honest, whether or not it
was actually a deal would depend on the product and what it can do.
>From what you've said, I don't know if I should call that a bargain or
not, but you couldn't compare two products that functionally are the
same but have differing specs.  And for what it's worth, I will stress
that except for the rare product, cheaper is not better.  I've fried
and broken many components that way, and it ended up costing me more
as I bought the more expensive better-built product when the cheaper
one broke...and since then those computers haven't failed (except for
uncontrollable circumstances, that is).

Just look at the motherboards.  Maybe you don't purchase them, but
other people do.  OutletPC is a JOKE.  I can't stress that enough.
Their selection is comprised of mostly cheaper lower end older
products, and not even many of those.  Want a great example of how
much of a ripoff it can be?  Their best LGA775 mobo is this gigabyte
one that's priced at $130 (http://www.outletpc.com/c3583.html), while
Newegg has the same one at $82
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128017R).
That is a price difference of $52, my friend.  Enough to buy an entire
1 gigabyte more of RAM, or to buy another DVD burner - 18x SATA, if
you wanted.  OutletPC doesn't even have the better cousin of that
motherboard that Newegg does
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128012).
And outletpc also doesn't have higher-up models from that Gigabyte
one, whatsoever.

On 9/13/07, Cody <churst35 at verizon.net> wrote:
> mounting a processor really isn't that hard. lift the arm, seat the
> processor and then put the paste on, put the heat sync on top and tack it
> down

It's pretty important that there be an even layer of thermal paste on
top before mounting the heat sink.  However, there are some processors
that come with heatsinks that come with a sticker of sorts instead,
it's like a thin layer of thermal compound that eventually melts
properly after the computer's been in use, and it's preapplied to the
heatsink and you only have to take off the protective plastic...that
may be an option for you.

Haphazardly applying paste is not the smartest way to go about things.
 Although it might sound simpler to apply way more than you need and
just smoosh the heatsink down, that will indeed cause heating issues -
to the point that you might just destroy the overheating processor
because the heatsink isn't dissipating the heat correctly because of
the misapplication of paste.  What you want is a very thin evenly
spread layer.  Best to follow the directions (manufacturers often have
a certain "method" or so they recommend to minimize the chance of
bubbles and imperfections), and to use good thermal paste as well.

cheers,
jane