Problem while getting Speech dispatcher working.

Darragh lists at digitaldarragh.com
Sat Sep 8 19:03:55 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am trying to get speech dispatcher working.

I have festival installed and while in festival using the SayText command
works.

However, I receive the following error when trying to get spd-say to run:
client: Speech Dispatcher failed to open: Connection refused

I'm using SuSE 10.2 and I have both speech dispatcher and speech_up
installed.

I will try installing the flite synth in a few minutes but I'd really like
to know what's happening here.

I've edited the speech.conf file and the /modules/festival.conf file  as
well.  There were a few lines I had to uncomment in the festival.conf file.
I'm not sure if I've done this right as the creen reader I'm working really
doesn't like reading text off a remote terminal screen.

Any help appreciated.

Darragh